Public bodies, including local-authority-maintained schools, are covered by the public sector equality duty in the Equality Act 2010.
As part of our duties we publish:
- an Equalities Information profile of our school based upon the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010 is reviewed and if necessary updated annually
- our school’s Equality Action Plan (Objectives) – these are reviewed annually and updated at least once every 4 years
- for further information please view or download our Equality Policy and Equality Action Plan in the School Policies section of our website.
Statement of Intent for Supporting Equality
At North Park Primary School we are committed to celebrating difference and promoting equality. We welcome everyone from all walks of life and aim for every pupil to fulfil their potential no matter what their needs. Our school is committed to anti-discriminatory practice, to the promotion of equality of opportunity and to valuing and celebrating diversity for all children and families. Everyone is treated equally regardless of their:
- Gender or gender identity
- Race or nationality
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation.
We hold Investors in Children Award and the Rights Respecting School Award, both of which recognise and underpin the work we do in school; this is reflected in all policies. We are an Educate and Celebrate (LBGT+) Good Practice School, and hold awards in Anti-Bullying, Healthy Schools and Fair Trade.
We are an inclusive school and endeavour to support every child whatever their level of need. We are currently working toward the Inclusion Quality Mark. All pupils follow the national curriculum at a level and pace that is appropriate for their abilities; if necessary or appropriate curriculum modifications may be made. To ensure work is matched to ability we:
- ensure all pupils have access to the school curriculum and school activities.
- help all pupils achieve to the best of their abilities, despite any difficulty or disability they may have.
- ensure all teaching staff are aware of and sensitive to the needs of all pupils
- use a wide range of teaching and learning strategies appropriate to pupil need
- work in partnership with parents and carers, pupil and external agencies in order to provide for the needs of all pupils.
- identify at the earliest opportunity, all children that need special consideration to support their needs (whether those are educational, social, physical or emotional).
- make suitable provision for children with SEND to fully develop their abilities, interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum.
- promote self-worth and enthusiasm by encouraging independence at all ages and ability levels.
- give every child the entitlement to a sense of achievement.
- regularly review policy and practice to achieve best practice in school.
Work in Equal opportunities is covered within both the explicit and implicit curriculum. Pupils are regularly taught about the diverse society we live in and our Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural guidance prepares the pupils to be effective citizens in life.
We aim to:
- Help pupils achieve their best and reach their potential
- Ensure children develop their personal qualities and skills, and a positive sense of self
- Ensure children grow in independence and confidence
- Promote pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- Develop a sense of community, within school, within the local area, and on a national and international scale
Our Equality policy and further information/objectives can be viewed by clicking on the links below.
Equality information and Objectives 2023
We are committed to providing a fully accessible environment which values and includes all pupils, staff, parents and visitors, regardless of age, education, physical, sensory, social, spiritual, emotional and cultural needs. We are committed to promoting positive attitudes and challenging negative attitudes about disability and accessibility, and to developing a culture of awareness, tolerance and inclusion.
The accessibility plan can be viewed by clicking on the link below. The plan is reviewed every three years, and includes aims and objectives.